Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes (or how not to use the 21/3.5)

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes (or how not to use the 21/3.5)
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 18:31:24 -0800
Yeah, seems like something is wrong, bright sun with snow, asa 160, is f8 at 1/1000 according to my Kodak Master Photo Guide. Put the camera on B and look in the front of the lens to see if it is stopping down. If the lens is new to you, there may be a problem.

Also, aside from lens troubles, a polarizer can both cut down on the light and control glare from snow.

Moose

Wayne Harridge wrote:

I was thinking of entering a photo of snowfall up here
in Rochester, which is also my first test of the 21mm
I got a short while ago. Scratch that right off. I'm
afraid to say the pics I took were simply awful. Even
at 1/1000 speed and f16 on the OM-1n the snow was
bright enough to induce an incredibly huge amount of
glare. No contrast, no features. The pics were so
overexposed even the huge latitude of Portra 160
couldn't save them. And the scenes were so pretty to

Sounds to me like the lens was not stopping down for the exposure.