Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:40:10 -0800
I am going to disagree with a lot of the advice given alraedy. While
they are great lenses, and fine for most macro work, for what you want
to do the 50 macros just aren't going to have the working distance that
you need. For shooting insects you will want a lot of working distance.
If you get to close you will frighten the insect. If you can afford it I
would go for the 135 f4.5 macro lens. You will also need either the
65-116 telecoping auto tube (which is far superior to the bellows for
field use.) If you already have a lens in the 135 range you could start
out with just the telescoping tube set and use that lens. I used the
'lowly' 135 f3.5 and a 65-116 tube for many macro shots before finally
getting the 135 f4.5 macro lens.

Jim Couch