Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 15:15:33 -0800

I would very mildly disagree in that the landscape is the last layer for everything. For it to be a landscape it has to be the subject, not the background. Anything in the landscape becomes a picture of the thing. A fence or a barn in the landscape is a picture of a fence or a barn unless it is so small as to be inconsequential, or just an accent in the picture. But we can decide to be as loose as we want in our submissions as a group. And who says that a landscape has to be "nice and scenic"? Isn't that like not taking pictures of people because they do not look like professional models who seem to represent the usual notions of physical beauty?
--
Winsor Crosby

Your analogy of models for subjects captures the spirit of my message. It isn't as if this is a judged contest where rules are strictly enforced. It's an informal exhibition amongst photographers who chum around of their respective works to date, albeit with a thematic ring to it. If I were to submit a picture of a trolley rolling down Market Street at high noon that might well be considered a stretch, whereas a shot of Golden Gate Park where some people happen to be recreating over the weekend might not be. I've only participated in one TOPE and the theme was human interaction. If I recall at least one entry had absolutely nothing to do with human interaction for the reason there were no people in it, yet no one lowered the boom.

Easy does it and stay low key. These are, afterall, just everyday images caught by Zuiko glass and offered up by friends.

Tris