Re: [OM] Re: Camera Shake at high shutter speeds

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Camera Shake at high shutter speeds
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 16:12:38 -0800
I'm not absolutely convinced. Although I take a lot of handheld shots for various reasons (laziness, the person/critter/light/expression will be gone, etc.) I suspect there is a difference, at least sometimes. Remember it still takes the curtain 1/60 sec. to traverse the film, so camera movement can still displace part of the image realtive to other parts. Remember those old pictures of race cars where the car seemed to lean forward? Those were taken with (mostly?) 4x5 cameras, like Speed Graphics, with vertical focal plane shutters. Although the slit was narrow enough to give a fairly high effective shutter speed, it took so long for the curtains to traverse the film that the subject moved significantly during the exposure, distorting the image. It's interesting that the direction of shutter motion happened to make the cars look like they were leaning forward to go faster, rather than leaning back.

It seems to me that vertical motion of a horizontal shutter camera could cause similar effect on a 35mm SLR. It would be less obvious, because of the higher relative curtain speed, but might cause otherwise unexplained 'unsharpness', especially if it were a highish (technical term) frequency vibration from mirror slap, vertical diaphram mechanism 'slap', etc. Physical movement from hand held motion might take the form of barely discernable distortion in horizontal lines. Vertical shutter cameras like the OM2000 would have different effects.

Perhaps John "11x16" Lind or a lurking Gary "Stop that Vibration" Reese know more?

This is nothing but speculation about things we'll never see on web pics or 4x prints.
Moose

ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

If you agree that it may not offer a reduction in shake, then you don't disagree! Maybe you took my 'no advantage to using a tripod' comment too far, I was only answering the camera shake issue, because that was the only question asked.

At those shutter speeds, and those focal lengths, if the photog keeps to
good
form, there shouldn't be ANY advantage to using a tripod.