Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: Charles Sdunek <charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 21:44:31 -0500
At 08:15 PM 3/24/02, you wrote:

I admit you have made a logical point, I would like to suggest though, that while you seem to be interested in recording the world as it is, I am more interested in expressing the world as I would like it to be. Especially when the purpose seems to be, at least to me, to share our best work done within the timeframe and within the guidelines..

Charles

Seems to me that a camera always records the world as it is. It is a mechanical device after all, not a paint brush. Beyond framing and the usual camera adjustments there is not much room for expression in making the exposure. To characterize making a photograph in a less pleasing environment as mere "recording" and making a record in a more pleasing environment as some expression of the ideal seems odd and and out of synch with art since about the 14th century, not to mention dismissive of some one else's efforts.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

Well, I certainly did not mean to dismiss anyone elses work. Each person expresses themselves in thier own way. What I meant by "expressing the world as I would like it to be", is that I look for a place, or a thing that inspires me to take the photograph, and by framing it the way I like I cut out the things I dont want there. By waiting until the lighting is exactly as I want it (or pretty close anyway) and then making my exposure, I have recorded one perfect moment in my eyes and not the millions of others. I can present a view of my own little world within our world as a whole.

How many people have been to our national parks and have actually been somewhat disappointed because they looked better in Ansel Adam's photographs than they do in real life? It's not uncommon, I have heard comments to this effect many times. Why? because with the small way he could effect things with his camera movements and the other "usual camera adjustments" He was able to present these places as he saw them.

I dont mind being out of sync with trends. I am not dismissive of other peoples efforts. each of us expresses ourselves in our own way and that is the spice of life.

Charles