Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 22:59:28 -0500
At 20:04 3/24/02, Tris Schuler wrote [in part]:
For those of a more artsy sway I suppose pictures don't come as readily.

They come differently, but not necessarily with greater or lesser difficulty. In some situations it can be easier than for those who strive for pure representational images (*what* you see is what it is). Not that this is a Bad Thing; it's what the photographer wants (or is attempting) to do.

Maybe I should dig through some of my older negatives and then fudge the date of the exposure. <g>

You're not the only one with this thought, however fleeting it might have been. This one was a struggle, but not without some growth in finally working through it.

An aside:
One of my frustrations within the fine arts community is encountering a few [IMO snobs] who define "art" as something that has properties and meaning beyond pure representation; then define photography as being purely representational (it can *never* be anything more than that); then proceed to assert: therefore, photography is *not* and *never* will be art. This is a non-argument. The formal logic is sound (its structure) which makes it deceptive; the informal logic (its content) is fallaciously founded on premises with completely arbitrary definitions.

I made two large prints of my TOPE 7 image for two shows that ran concurrently last year. One of them hung at work in my office (an "overflow" gallery) and another at home on a long wall with other large prints. One of the managers with whom I work walked in and it immediately captured his undivided attention. After a couple of subtle questions I realized he "saw" the symbolism I did whan I visualized it and made the photograph. I don't *need* two of them in a rapidly growing collection of large framed prints, so I gave it to him. In part, it was a "reward" for seeing beyond pure representation. I had also been looking for a good home to adopt it; one of the few duplicate prints without a "plan" for what to do with it afterward.

-- John