Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:25:10 -0500
OK, I'll jump into the fray.  There are so many choices, that it is truly a
tough call.  I clearly agree the 50/3.5 is a fantastic starting place.
Fairly inexpensive, very compact, very sharp.  The only 'limitation' is that
the bokeh isn't very smooth.

For around the same money, you can get a 3rd party 90/2.x (Vivitar, Tamron,
Tokina).  Maybe I missed Larry jumping in, but I hope he does, as he's very
knowledgeable here. If I remember, the order of quality is Tokina, then a
tie between the Vivitar and Tamron 90/2.5, followed by the Tamron 90/2.8.  A
decent example is in the the $150 range.

Moving upscale, the 50/2 is outstanding, a 'better' 3.5.  Very useable as a
normal lens and plenty fast and with much improved boken.

That all brings me to my personal favorite.  The Zuiko 90/2.  If you don't
want to spend the money, don't ever try one.  Is it better than the 3rd
party -- probably not.  But it is so wonderful.....

Even if I got completely out of OM, I'd keep a body and the 90/2.

Tom

From: "AG Schnozz" <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
<snip>
The 100/2.8 with extension tubes has been my bread and butter
setup for many, many years.  Absolutely love this combination.
I've been tempted to get the 90/2.  Joel let me try his and
almost didn't get it back.  Could be the reason why he didn't
let me mount it on my camera.  Working distance, bokeh, and
sharpness are all good with the 100/2.8.  This is not a
flat-fielded setup so it works better for outdoor photography
than studio work.