[OM] OT: Lenses for Travel - My Experiences

Subject: [OM] OT: Lenses for Travel - My Experiences
From: Matt Crawley <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 22:39:46 -0700
Hello All.

I'm a list lurker who doesn't post much but I thought I would relay my
recent travel experience to the List.

I just returned from a month in Europe where I visited Paris and Prague,
(among others). I shoot photos with Canon FD and Olympus OM  gear but for
this trip I took only the Canon gear because I have a better selection of
Canon lenses. My kit consisted of a 24mm/f2.8, 28mm/f2.8, 50mm/f1.4,
85mm/f1.2, 135mm/f2 and a 2x converter.

My OVERWHELMING thought after returning is that I won't do a similar trip
again without a zoom lens. It is just too much of a pain to carry all those
lenses and an even greater pain to change them when shooting. I got some
great photos but there where MANY times that I wished for the flexibility of
a zoom.

Canon made a 20mm-35mm/f3.5 that would have been on my camera the whole time
if I had one... Did Olympus ever make a similar "wide angle" zoom?

One other thing. I used a Tamrac 709 Convertible bag and liked it VERY much.
It is a shoulder bag/waist pack and it worked VERY well using both the
shoulder strap AND waistbelt at the same time.

Normally shoulder bags slide around too much and give me serious pain when
loaded and waist packs have a tendency to slide down/off my waist when they
are loaded. Using both took the weight off my shoulders and made the bag
very stable even when fully loaded and when I unclipped the waist belt I
could swing it around to the front and get at my gear very easily. IMO
nearly as stable as a backpack for short hauls and MUCH easier to get into.

That's all for now.

 - Matt Crawley