Re: [OM] How large can I print a slide?

Subject: Re: [OM] How large can I print a slide?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:22:01 -0500
At 08:53 3/25/02, you wrote:
I have routinly had slide exposures enlarged to 16x20. Many shots have been enlarged
even greater.

Jim Couch

My personal limit is 11x16 inches, about 12X magnification of the transparency. These are prints for juried exhibition in which *everything* is very closely examined. This keeps its detail slightly finer than human acuity can discern at *very* close viewing without additional magnification and it's still well below grain structure. This limit is much tighter than what can be used for large display prints for other purposes. 11x16 and bigger requires a technically well-made (shake mitigation by some method) transparency, or negative for that matter, using a high resolving lens and extremely fine grain film, that is well-printed on an enlarger also using a high resolving optical system.

Assuming everything from lens to film to enlarger have been optimized, it's been my experience that 16x20 and larger magnifications depend on how one defines both "acceptable image sharpness" and average viewing distance. It is certainly possible to go larger, and it does force farther viewing distance to take in the entire image. Humans will generally accept ability to see resolution limits on very close inspection of extremely large prints provided it is "graceful" (not harsh). I routinely project slow-chrome slides to a 50 inch screen without any problem (requires a high resolution projector lens). This is about 35X enlargement and it's a combination of viewing distance and graceful degradation at resolution limits that allows it. On close inspection of the screen, it is definitely possible to see the resolution limits of lens, film, etc. Aside from giving slide shows, it's my method to determine if an 11x16 can be made that will still have detail levels finer than human acuity.

-- John