Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 06:19:43 -0800
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:46:02 -0800, Winsor Crosby wrote:

Why not keep it simple and use the classifications for
what they obviously represent?

Because the classifications obviously represent different things to
all of us. The exhibits and competitions I've seen over the past
several years have included a wide variety of landscape definitions.
I've seen straight ahead nature shots, architecture shots,
cityscapes, and seascapes all displayed as landscapes. Consider that
my own http://www.beancotton.com/cgi-bin/show_picture.cgi?pic=3 took
top honors in the landscape category at the Delta Fair 3 years ago,
despite the fact that it shows no land at all!

I agree with you that we should keep things simple. However, in my
opinion, thats best done by using a broad, flexible definition rather
than excluding widely used and accepted variations.

BB
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co http://www.beancotton.com
Peach Orchard, MO

Just to be clear, I have not suggested any kind of exclusion. I thought I was just participating in a good natured discussion on the nature of the beast. I think the title you chose for your picture says it all and agrees with what I suggested before. Whether it was admitted to a contest at a country fair in a misnamed category has little to do with the question.

Nice picture.  No wonder it did well.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California