Re: [OM] Bounce Grip 1 & QA310 Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Bounce Grip 1 & QA310 Question
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:05:36 +0000
on 3/27/02 4:38 AM, Larry at acmeracer@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello Everyone
> I was trying out a recent purchase (possible fang?) ad have a question.
> I have a Quick Auto 310 mounted on a Bounce Grip 1 (I think) thru a TTL
> Auto Cord onto a OM 2 and when using this combination, the grip (with
> "C" cells installed) gets rather warm (almost hot) after about 6 to 8
> flashes. What is causing this? Did I mess something up? I tried this
> with AA batteries both in and removed from the 310. The complete unit
> was purchased for $75 USD. I ran some film thru the OM 2 w/o the flash
> yesterday and the shots were (for me) great. I dont want to possibly
> hurt the 310 or the grip. Feel fre to email me off list or post so
> others can have the info. Thanks fellow OM'ers.
>
> Best Regards
> Larry L.
> Daytona Beach, FL.
>
> <really....I..can...<gulp>stop...buying...
> ..anytime.........unless......I really...NEED..it....(yea,RIGHT).....>
>
> Somedays it just dont pay to chew through the leather
> restraints..............

So you got the QA310, the BG1, *and* the OM-2 for $75...? If that's the
case, its not just a "possible fang", I think you have a full qualifier.

My BG-1's and BG-2's don't get hot when used with C batteries inside, so I
can't help you on that... I think it might be normal for ni-cads and maybe
NiMH batteries to warm up with use, but alkalines I don't think do so, at
least not that I've ever noticed.

I have heard that you SHOULD NOT USE ni-cad or NiMH batteries with the QA310
flash!!! I haven't heard what happens if you do, but I have a non-functional
QA310 that might be the result of this. It 'whines' but never charges up,
and won't flash.
--

Jim Brokaw