Re: [OM] OT: Lenses for Travel - My Experiences

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Lenses for Travel - My Experiences
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:21:28 +0000
on 3/26/02 5:39 AM, Matt Crawley at matt@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Canon made a 20mm-35mm/f3.5 that would have been on my camera the whole time
> if I had one... Did Olympus ever make a similar "wide angle" zoom?

Olympus made a 28-48/4.0 Zuiko lens... not really all that wide at the wide
end...

I have a Samyang 18-28/4-4.5 lens that seems well constructed. I have only
used it for a couple of shots, and not compared the results to any output
from my Zuiko 18, 21, 24, or 28 lenses, but if you can only carry one lens
to cover the wide-angle range the Samyang isn't much larger than any two of
the Zuiko prime lenses stacked up. Construction is robust, all metal with a
pretty good finish. It is fairly heavy, though.

Like any zoom, it probably isn't ultimately as sharp and contrasty as
primes, but the lens you have with you takes much better pictures than the
three or four lenses you didn't carry. These Samyang lenses sell for ~$130,
so you aren't risking much trying it out, if the results don't satisfy you.
--

Jim Brokaw