Re: [OM] Medium format film scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Medium format film scanners
From: Blaz Vrabec <blaz.vrabec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:21:02 +0100
Hi

I have used the Epson 2450 and scanned many 35mm slides with it and I'm
impressed with the quality (certainly for a flatbed).

I have done some comparisons with slides I scanned on a Nikon LS2000 film
scanner (2700 dpi) and results are very similar. The Epson is a bit softer
(well it does have smaller resolution - 2400 dpi) but not that much.
Dynamic range is also similar.

Some problems I have encountered:

It is difficoult to keep the film clean so the results are usually with
some hair, dust, ... - the scanner doesn't have ICE or anything to remove
it.

The scanner is very fast for reflective scanning but slows down when you
scan transparencies - for a single scan of 35mm slide at 2400 dpi it takes
about 5 minutes or even more.

Best regards,

Blaz Vrabec
Slovenia, Europe