Re: [OM] Lens Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Advice
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:20:55 -0800
Should you choose to follow Winsors' advice, stay away from the 'F.ZUIKO' single coated lenses. There were 3 versions of this lens, I believe, and the earliest, at least, is not that great a lens. Mine is serial #149xxx and came with a new, pre MD, OM-1 soon after they came out. They all cost about the same, so why not get a later version, either one of the millions with the 'MC' mark, or the reputedly even better 'made in Japan' version.

Moose

Winsor Crosby wrote:

Hello all,

After taking a little gander at what the local "King of Trade" had to offer, i found i need a little advice. They've got an OM mount Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5 for C$99 (US$65). Looks to be in good condition, though i didn't look REALLY close - but no fungus or scratches and the aperture ring moves nicely & focus is smooth.

Anyway, my question is this: keeping in mind that i'm POOR (i.e. i can't buy Zuiko primes), should i hang on to the Olympus Zuiko (Cosina) 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 that i already have (which seems to have a pretty bad reputation), or should i replace it with this Vivitar Series 1 (which i gather has a good reputation). I'll have to REALLY justify it to the wife, so i need a clear cut decision! Help me out here!

Sean D.

I know you are talking about a zoom, but you really can afford Olympus primes. For less than half that price of $99 you could buy the 50/1.8 and be astonished at how good your images are. Careful shopping will uncover other Olympus modestly priced primes.