[OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:09:28 +1200
Hi Kierstin,

(I was going to reply to this off-list, but decided to share it, as others who
are
wiser than me will have something of value to contribute)

Well, the costs in the UK must be different from what we have here.

You don't have to enlarge them a lot anyway. Take a few shots and get them
printed up at 8x6 or whatever, then try cropping them by laying sheets of
paper over the edges to figure out what you might have done had you used a
200mm or whatever lens.

I really think a 300 is too long for that subject. And they are agonisingly
difficult to get the best out of.

Also, much of the beauty and attraction of sunsets and sunrises comes from
the clouds around, and a LF lens would simply cut all that out.

I don't believe that one decent long lens is going to be cheaper than a few
rolls of bigger enlargements. Especially at the beginning.

It is very easy to fall into the trap of going for gear rather than using what
you
have and seeing what you can make of it. Been there, done that.

It's nice to fondle a nice lens BUT does that take a photo?

Remember, ALL 35mm shots are usually enlarged to some degree or other.
Contact prints of 35 x 24 mm are so small as to be nearly useless.

Have you seen my processors page (see my signature piece below). It has
some good UK processors to chose from. Email a few and get quotes.

Above all, shoot a couple of rolls of sunsets and sunrises before you make
big decisions. You will be surprised what you learn about the subject, the
camera, and how you need to envisage what you want to record.

Best wishes,

Brian