[OM] Telephoto lens flamethrower

Subject: [OM] Telephoto lens flamethrower
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:05:15 -0800 (PST)
You all (yawl) are completely off-base.

I cannot believe the spewings of those trying to convince others
that there isn't any need for a 300mm lens.  Rubbish!

Under the same argument I could say that the only lens you
really need is a 50/1.8.  Get real, folks.  Every focal length
has its place and sometimes there is NO substitute.  To say that
a 200mm is just as good as a 300mm is nonsense.  I cannot do
half of what I want to do because I don't have the right lens
for the job.  I've never professionally pursued sports or
wildlife photography because of the lack of proper equipment.

Sunsets with 400-600mm lenses are awesome.  I've been unable to
achieve anything similar with doublers or by cropping.  It just
isn't the same.  Sure, I can photograph a sunset with a lesser
telephoto--in fact most of my very best sunsets are taken with
the 24/2.8 (silvernosed at that!).  But that is just ONE look.
Maybe my creative vision requires compressing a subject against
the sun.  Can't do that with anything but a long hunk of glass.

I understand the desire to be helpful and guide the newbees in
maximizing what they have first before buying lenses left and
right, but there is a limit to what is not only possible but
what is logical.  It is true that most of your photographs are
taken with normal focal lengths in the 35-100mm range, but on
those rare occasions when you need the millimeters you've gotta
have them.

But, telephoto lenses are like bicycles.  You do get what you
pay for.  You buy a cheap bicycle, you won't ride it because it
either breaks down or is uncomfortable to ride.  Spend the extra
and it is a joy to ride and you do so more and more.

Inexpensive telephoto lenses are no bargain. They color fringe,
are too dark, have poor resolution, lousy contrast., etc., etc.,
etc.  A 300/4.5, as sharp as it is and it is a quality lens, is
a bad choice if you plan on shooting sports professionally.  The
quality of the lens is good, but the lack of internal focus and
F-stops limits what you can do when you MUST bring home the
bacon.

All lenses have a time and place.  Don't try to discourage
creative vision.  Sure, most beginners think they need tons of
millimeters to get "that shot" and we did a good job of pointing
out the alternatives, but there is a limit.  I'm excited that
these individuals are stretching their vision.

If I skipped too many emails and didn't see the balanced

AG-Schnozz