Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:13:07 -0500
At 11:38 PM +0000 3/28/02, Kierstin wrote:

will I be able to get a good sunset shot with my lens?  [SOLIGOR  MC
ZOOM-AUTO  F2.5/3.5  f=35-70mm]

It costs me about £4 a roll to develop (& this is cheap mail in
development).

The first thing my photojournalism prof (ex-LIFE) told us way back when
is that the film is the cheapest part of the equation -- if you consider
the cost of your time, or going to the place where the pictures will be
taken, of the camera equipment, of not getting the shot you want, a roll
of film is negligible. Even for amateur photography, that's still a good
rule, especially in the earlier stages -- a couple of rolls spent bracketing
exposures. testing compositional details and shooting techniques, generally getting to know how your camera and lenses perform under a specific set of
conditions, will end up producing better pictures later (and possibly even
saving film because you'll know what to expect).

(By the way, for sunsets one assumes you're shooting transparency film or else can somehow get around the endless hassle involved in trying to get regular photofinishers to do justice to non-average frames.)

As for the question of "Can I get good sunset pictures with a decent off-brand 35-70, the answer depends on what kinds of pictures you are trying to make.Telephotos are best for sunsets in which the sun itself and a tightly-cropped, compressed section of the landscape directly in front of it are the main elements you're looking for. Wider lenses let you capture the gradations of color across the sky and the effect of the horizontal, strongly colored light on the landscape. To get the full range from bright to dark you may need a 24 or even a 21. My best sunset picture, the one people look at and exclaim, or ask for a copy of, was taken with an Oly Stylus. Composition and color often trump perfect sharpness and resolution for such pictures.

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx