Re: [OM] 300mm cost (now)

Subject: Re: [OM] 300mm cost (now)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 07:10:05 -0800 (PST)
> I also wanted to say...  I REALLY LOVE YOU GUYS (& gals),
> thank you all for
> helping me to realise my dream of photography, something I
> NEVER thought
> that I could do (although the jury is still out as to whether
> or not I can
> do it and do it well).

<sniff, sniff>  How sweet.  Ok, guys, I guess we have to
straighten up now and stop our fighting.  Be nice and no "HR
Infractions".

You know, the amazing thing about photography is that there are
so many styles, subjects, methods, tools, and uses that there is
tremendous room for all levels of experience and vision.

If your goal is to copy the style of someone else you will
always be inferior to the original.  Even if you do surpass your
"teacher" you will always be compared to the teacher.

Photography is a personal adventure.  Every single person on
this list has their own vision, interest, working style and
goals.  My style of photography and the results thereof are
uniquely mine.  Better than somebody else's?  Nope, neither is
it inferior.  It works for me and my customers.

You will start to develop you own shooting style and go after a
subject matter that works for you.  However, before you can
really do that you will need to know a few basics.  You've been
asking the right questions and surrounded yourself with people
who can aid you--us.  But after a while you will learn what you
are capable of and also that of your equipment and film.  You
will experiment, shoot lots of film and over time become learn
what is "you".

Don't worry about inferior work.  The only person you must
please is yourself.  But what exactly are your goals?  These
will change over time, but there is a general direction in what
you are wanting to accomplish.  I look at other peoples work for
ideas that I can snag.  I try to implement their ideas into my
own personal vision.

AG-Schnozz