Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:20:08 -0500
At 01:03 PM 3/29/02 -0500, Paul Wallich wrote:

For lots of sunsets the interesting parts -- multihued clouds, sky fading from yellow-orange or red to purple and blue -- stretch over a fair part of the sky. So if the sun is setting due west, the sunset scene that you want to capture might stretch from the far southwest of the horizon to the far northwest. A telephoto pointed at the sun would see only within a few degrees of due west, whereas a 24mm or 21mm lens (wide angle and then some) would get the whole scene.

Hi Paul,

On occasion a fisheye might be needed to capture all the colors. :-) For example, I was facing the east with the sun at my back when I took this shot last fall:

http://home.attbi.com/~jjohnso4/Yellowstone/images/pages/F20011008-15neg.htm

Later,
Johnny