Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:59:17 +0000
on 3/29/02 6:20 PM, Johnny Johnson at jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> On occasion a fisheye might be needed to capture all the colors. :-)  For
> example, I was facing the east with the sun at my back when I took this
> shot last fall:
>
> http://home.attbi.com/~jjohnso4/Yellowstone/images/pages/F20011008-15neg.htm
>
> Later,
> Johnny

Great shot, Johnny!

And note Kierstin:  this image was taken using a 35-70 zoom lens... the one
you have would work equally well. BEING THERE and NOTICING are what's really
important, not the lens. Try a few images using the lens you have, see if
you can get the colors on the clouds and the cloud patterns as part of the
image. The foreground often goes into silouhette (I know I spelled that
wrong...!) so resolution isn't so critical as when full detail is desired...

I think the sunset image you're 'seeing' is the image where the setting sun
is a huge fireball that fills the frame, disappearing over Hawaii as you
stand on the pier in Santa Monica... those images are usually done with very
long focal length lenses, which are finicky to work with. The longer the
lens focal length (on 35mm film) the bigger the image of the sun will be...
but I think you would find a more 'normal' focal length lens to offer a
better cost/benefit ratio. You would get much more uses from a 135mm or
200mm focal length lens in subjects other than sunsets (which they will do
nicely too)... to get that huge fireball image you need probably 500mm or
longer, which are really narrowly purposed lenses.
--

Jim Brokaw