Re: [OM] cost of Om-1n when new?

Subject: Re: [OM] cost of Om-1n when new?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 10:23:01 -0500
At 08:47 3/31/02, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
While I was looking for it I found the receipt for my OM-2sp which I bought used in 1988 from a dealer advertising in Shutterbug for $209. This is the camera that spent nearly 10 years in the closet. I thought it was defective and had a short circuit since it ate batteries so fast. Even if I didn't use the camera the batteries would be dead in 6 weeks. It wasn't until I joined this list that I discovered the importance of silver oxide batteries. It's now the camera that I use the most. I would guess that the 357's in it now have been in since sometime last summer.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

I talked to a guy at work who is AR about spending money on batteries. He was bitterly complaining about his "battery eating" OM-4. His were lasting about the same time as those in your OM-2S. Told him to get some 357's to see if that magically improved battery consumption, and to bring in what was currently in his camera. Had two different batteries of two types from two different manufacturers. One of them showed *zero* volts on a lab voltmeter. Came back several days later with a catalog in hand for buying batteries in bulk asking about lithiums, alkalines and who knows what other types; all *slightly* lower cost than 357 silver oxide cells. Circled the 357's listed and told him to buy *them*, change them in *pairs*, and pointed him at the specs with voltage falloff curves to show him why. He's an EE; time will tell if it sank in.

I'm printing the text of your posting to *show* him the experience of others in this regard.

-- John