re: [OM] Tripods/heads

Subject: re: [OM] Tripods/heads
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 03:00:05 -0800
> I'm thinking about picking up a new tripod/head.  I want something that's
> light enough for backpacking, yet also good for portraits/group stuff, as
> well as normal out 'n about photography. .......

I just agonized over a tripod head and finally bought the Bogen 3413
(Man. #308) as a good compromise of sturdy vs. weight. It works well
with the 300+2x. I'd actually ordered the 3413QR but B&H sent the non
quick release model. I also ordered the Bogen 3055QR, 3055s (smaller
version) and Gitzo G075 mini ball head so I could do a side-by-side
comparison as I don't have a store anywhere close to do a hands on
comparison. I'm glad they sent the 3413 by mistake as it turned out to
be the one I kept. The little Gitzo would be perfect for backpacking but
not for an everyday head. the 3055 and 3055s were a little too big and I
felt they were harder to use than the 3413. I didn't see the advantage
of the QR plates as the 3413 goes on and off quickly and is less bulky.
Plus I can't afford nor want a plate on every body and lens mount. Seems
more trouble to shuffle the plates around and they are in the way and
add weight when not in use. Besides, Bogen makes a QR plate adapter if I
decide I want one. So I kept the 3413 and sent the others back. By the
way the 3413 goes on a Gitzo Studex Safari that I got at a garage sale
so the entire combo cost me less than US$100. This is too heavy for
backpacking so I NEED a lighter tripod to go with the 3413 head. Anyone
have any suggestions?

Mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West