[OM] Alpine Decisions

Subject: [OM] Alpine Decisions
From: "Mike Williamson" <mikew@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 11:09:44 -0600
We're going to be on a group tour of southern Germany, Switzerland, and Austria
from June 23rd through July 7th.  It's time once again for me to go through
the agony of deciding what equipment to take (and perhaps what new things to
buy for the trip).  I've already come up with a half-dozen kits to consider
but in reality I don't have a clue as to what to take.  I would really
appreciate
any thoughts and advice you might have.  I do, however, have a few provisos:

        1. No tripod or monopod. I will take a tabletop tripod.  I don't own a
monopod.
 I do have a "string-pod" that I will take.  (I think acquiring a 300mm or 400mm
is out of the question for camera shake reasons alone.)
        2. Although I think most of the pictures will be of the scenic variety,
I'm
sure there will be some interior shots (churches? castles?) in which flash won't
be allowed, so I believe I'll need at least one fast lens.
        3. I'm really thinking all primes this time because of the lens speed
(and
the generally better Gary Reese test results), but I could be convinced
otherwise.
 I'm looking for as much sharpness as possible to partially offset not using
a tripod.
        4. I'll use a photographer's vest again and will have a backpack.  I
was thinking
of just using my regular old backpack (as I have more than just camera equipment
to carry), but I do have a couple of Lowepro backpacks and a couple of camera
bags.  I was thinking of taking 3 to 6 lenses, if that helps.
        5. I will definitely be taking a Contax T3 35mm f2.8 point & shoot.  I
would
prefer to take a couple of other bodies (either two OMs or one OM and the IS-3
perhaps).
        6. Don't feel constrained to go with all 49mm lenses (or all 55mm).
Taking
a couple of extra filters would be the least of my concerns.
        7. I'll be shooting print film.  Most likely I'll just have 4x6 prints
made
(plus scans for the web with my new Minolta Dual Scann II!!!), but I would at
least like the possibility of having a decent enlargement made if I should take
some killer shot.

Here's what I have to choose from.  I'm still planning on selling some of these
items in the near future but may temper those plans depending upon what the
travel kit comes down to.

Cameras:
OM-4T
OM-4T
OM-4
OM-2S
OM-1n
OM-PC
IS-3
IS-1
XA
Nikon Coolpix 800 digital

Primes (Zuiko unless noted):
24mm f2.8 SC
28mm f2
35mm f2
50mm f1.2
50mm f1.4 (serial number over 1.1 million)
50mm f1.8 (Made In Japan model, of course)
50mm f2
50mm f3.5 (high serial number)
85mm f2 MC (high serial number)
90mm f2.5 Tamron
135mm f2.8 SC
200mm f4 MC

Zooms (Zuiko unless noted):
35-70mm f3.5-4.5
35-70mm f3.6
35-105mm f3.5-4.5 (serial number over 500,000)
28-90mm f2.8-3.5 Vivitar Series 1
28-105mm f3.5-4.5 Vivitar
75-150mm f4
70-210mm f4-5.6 Tokina SZX

Flashes:
T32
F280
G40
T20
T18

Other:
Vivitar Macro 2x teleconverter
12, 20, 25, & 36 auto extension tubes

My initial thought was T3, two 4Ts, 28, 50 (1.4 or 2), 85 (or 90), T32, and
maybe the 24 and/or 200.  My second thought was to take the T3, the IS-3 & G40,
and one 4T with 28mm & a macro (50 or 90).  Then I started thinking about zoom
& prime combinations.  Finally, I just got tired of thinking about the myriad
combinations possible.  I've shot in the Rockies, Sierras, and San Juans on
vacations in the past, but those trips were when I had a LOT less equipment
to pick from (and used a 28-90 Vivitar Series 1 & a 50mm f1.8 for 990f all
shots).  I could really use some help here!!

TIA.

Mike W.