RE: [OM] Alpine Decisions

Subject: RE: [OM] Alpine Decisions
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 16:39:36 -0800
Since you considered buying long lenses and rejected it because of impracticality, could I suggest that you maybe get a 24/2 for those tight European interiors and little squares. Most excellent for low light because of the focal length and speed. It can be hand held like other lenses at 1/focal length, but the wide angle and 1/25 second is quite useful in a cathedral or castle interior.

Your 35-70/3.6, even though a zoom, is only a 2x zoom and is of very high quality - not like one of those 28-200 monsters. It is fast enough to be useful even in dim light. You will be very happy not to be fumbling with lenses all the time. A 135mm will get you twice as much reach as the zoom without going overboard on a long lens. A 2X teleadaptor is optional. I would bet you will not use more than once or twice. A screw on close-up lens(Zuiko of course) will get let you do the few close shots you might want to do at higher speeds without carrying a macro lens. This is based on the idea that you are carrying your own bag and this is not a leisurely journey with your own car to hold your equipment.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?