Re: [OM] Alpine Decisions

Subject: Re: [OM] Alpine Decisions
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 20:15:10 -0500
At 12:09 4/1/02, Mike Williamson wrote:
We're going to be on a group tour of southern Germany, Switzerland, and Austria from June 23rd through July 7th. It's time once again for me to go through the agony of deciding what equipment to take (and perhaps what new things to buy for the trip). I've already come up with a half-dozen kits to consider but in reality I don't have a clue as to what to take. I would really appreciate any thoughts and advice you might have. I do, however, have a few provisos:

When I must travel "light" I try to include something to cope with the unexpected opportunities also. Much of what you select will be based on what you normally shoot and how you go about it. For me, 24mm to 135mm covers the bulk of my photography. I've carved down your list to what I would pack from it . . .

OM-4

Primes (Zuiko unless noted):
24mm f2.8 SC
50mm f1.2
135mm f2.8 SC

Zooms (Zuiko unless noted):
35-105mm f3.5-4.5 (serial number over 500,000)

Flashes:
T32

Other:
Vivitar Macro 2x teleconverter
12, 20, 25, & 36 auto extension tubes

The only difference is I have a 24/2, a 2X-A TC, plus the 7mm and 14mm tubes also. I'd probably just take the 12/20/36 set. This puts a prime at each end at the next step outside the 35-105 range (which has a "close-up" feature) with an ultra-fast 50mm standard that can be pressed into service for available light work. If there is a spare SLR body under these conditions, it's an OM-1n, also with its own 50mm f/1.4 body cap. Instead, I usually take a very small Rollei 35S with 40/2.8 lens, manual focus/exposure and mechanical shutter. If all else fails or it's a situation which precludes even the small shoulder bag, I can "make do" with that. In packing, it takes the space of a small lens.

-- John