Re: [OM] Alpine Decisions

Subject: Re: [OM] Alpine Decisions
From: "Michael S. Williamson" <mikew@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 19:45:53 -0600
Winsor,

I was starting to worry that no one would recommend getting new lenses.  I
should have know better with this group though.  ;-)

I hadn't thought about a 24/2 previously.  I'll give that one some serious
thought (and research).

Funny you should mention the 35-70/3.6.  I got that lens on eBay almost two
years ago.  I didn't try it out until a week after the purchase.  At that
point I discovered a problem with the f-stop linkage (as in turning the
f-stop ring wouldn't change the f-stop once you had opened or closed to one
extreme or the other).  Bottom line was that that seller (not a list member)
would provide no satisfaction.  The lens has basically sat since then
(although I did acquire the lens hood to keep it company).  Two or three
weeks ago there was talk on the list of opening up the back of a lens,
something I would never have considered previously.  Well, I took the back
off last night, saw the problem, and had it corrected and back together
within minutes.  Now I've got a new lens to try (and in all seriousness I
wouldn't have even thought about attempting a repair without some of the
threads on this list).

You're right about the teleconverter, I think.  I've owned it over a year
and have yet to use it.  Still, it would be a small item to take (but I
would have to test it out first).  Too bad I live in the flatlands and don't
have any mountains to view with different focal lengths.  (Maybe I can
pretend some of the local office buildings are mountains and try some
things.  That might be a good way to see how bad camera shake would be with
a 135 and a teleconverter.)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mike W.

P. S.  You know (well, actually you don't know) I had planned on coming up
with the kit to take, perhaps pick a few more items to keep at home, and
give everything else to AG Schnozz.  That, of course, was before he
mentioned the E-20.  Upon reflection, I now see that hoarding it all is the
way to go.  Close call.