Re: [OM] Alpine Decisions

Subject: Re: [OM] Alpine Decisions
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 21:24:56 -0500

Out of curiosity, why the 4 and not one of the 4Ts?

Sorry . . . yes, take the 4T.
I chopped the list down quickly.

One of the things I also create is a "decrement list" of what to omit first. The three items I'd have on it are the 2X TC and the macro tubes starting with the longest and working toward the shortest. These are most likely to be problematic with camera shake hand held, and least likely to be used, although they're relatively small and light. I have used "field expedient" bracing techniques such as railings, tops of fence posts, tree stumps, chair backs and BFR's (Big Flat Rocks).

My limit for hand held is 200mm, although I have done it with a 300mm lens, and that was a Royal PITA. Took quite a few shots to get one that worked.

My core for "lightweight" work is the 24, 35-105, 50, 135 and T-32.
The 2X-A, some macro tubes, and/or 35/2.8 Shift get heaved in depending on what I anticipate is most likely to be encountered.

Now that I've mentioned a shift lens . . .
If the thought of one crosses your mind, remember that they're manual stop-down, more time consuming to use, and work much, much better on tripod. In its own way it's just as problematic hand held as a high magnification macro or long telephoto. It can be done, but requires great care in framing/composing, and it's not without some pain.

-- John