Re: [OM] OT - print film types - reala, recomendations

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - print film types - reala, recomendations
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 13:23:37 -0500
At 21:24 4/1/02, you wrote:
I know someone has mentioned Reala film before, but I can't seem to
find the post. Is reala the same as fujicolor superia 100? I was
looking on the fujifilm.com web site and I cannot find any technical
data on Reala. I must not be looking in the right place. What print
film would you recommend for lowest grain?

Wayne

Superia Reala (ISO 100) is "CS"
New Superia 100 is "CN"

As I understand film designation lettering, this means there is a difference between them. In looking at the data sheets, they are close, but not identical except in resolving power. Both supposedly have the 4-layer technology. The "old" Superia 100, also called "CN" does [did] not, and its curves are different, but it has the same resolution.

Compare the two data sheets for Superia 100 on the U.S. site and New Superia 100 on the U.K. site. They're *different*. Found the Superia Reala data sheet on the U.K. site, but not on the U.S. Also cannot find Superia Reala locally as I once used to (not that I have ever used much of it).

As for Kodak consumer films, Royal Gold 100 is the finest grained, and noticeably finer than their Gold 100. Since Kodak now uses a mystical "Print Grain Index" for its color negative films, trying to compare any Kodak color negative to anyone else's color negative film is like comparing apples to oranges. You may need to overlay the MTF curves to see how they compare.

-- John