[OM] The 37th Frame - Zuiko 35/2 Review

Subject: [OM] The 37th Frame - Zuiko 35/2 Review
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:14:56 -0500
I just got my copy of the subjective, no-advertising, personal newsletter of Mike Johnston yesterday (former editor of Photo Techniqes, 25 best cameras, etc.). You really should read this newsletter if you haven't already. Definately worth the $18/yr for 4 issues at www.37thframe.com.

Anyway, the lead article is a subjective, user test and evaluation of 35mm prime lenses. The article is in two parts, with the first one reviewing the:

1. Nikkor AIS 35/1.4
2. Nikon Series E 35/2.5
3. Leica 35/2 Summicron-M (Pre-asph)
4. Zeiss Contax Distagon 35/2.8
5. Konica Hexar 35/2
6. Olympus Zuiko 35/2 MC & SC
7. Canon EF 35/2

He really liked the Leica for bokeh and overall feeling. The Canon and the Hexar also came up strong. The others had nagging points. He especially didn't like the bokeh of the Nikkor AIS.

As for the Zuiko, here's a summary:

- Flare-prone, the hood doesn't help much
- Problems at small apertures
- Sharp at most apertures
- Nice tonal reproduction and contrast
- Overall, better at middle apertures

There aren't any resolution charts or MTF graphs. Only his opinion and user experiences, which is extensive.

Next issue:

8. Pentax SMC Takumar 35/2
9. Leica 35/1.4 Summilux Asph (1)
10. AF Nikkor 35/2
11. Leica 35/2 Summicron-R
12. Pentax SMCP-M 35/2
13. Zeiss Contax Distagon 35/1.4
+ Conclusion

He also has a neat article entieled "How to Write Internet User Reports of Cameras - A Guide for Idiots".

Skip