Re: [OM] Help for Insurance!

Subject: Re: [OM] Help for Insurance!
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 19:52:03 -0800
Hi there Guys!

To my great dissapointment, I dropped my mint condition silver OM-2n fitted with my 300 4.5 Zuiko. The camera strap was at fault - it just dropped out! (Well it appears the lens was tougher than the camera. The camera's mirror box crushed due to impact damage. This requires complete dismantling and replacement of the mirror box assembly - therefore to shim and reset the focal flange distance including calibration is needed. Another words, lots of labour.)

Anyway, with my estimated repair quote of AUD$ 440, I need to send additional information to the insurance assessor at their request (damn). They would like me to find (obviously on the net internationally or some other source) the average price of a second hand OM-2n in mint condition.

I thought Ebay would have an average pricing list of such items, but have not come across one yet. I have also had a look a CAMTECH for second hand OM-2n's and have had no luck right through to good old Skip Williams.

The scope of finding such information simply means I can get the best claim I can to put towards another (I only have a crappy OM10).

Can anyone help me at all? If you can, bless you!

Thankyou for your time and good luck in Tope!

Damo

If I could make a recommendation. Please do not low ball a value of your equipment for the benefit of the insurance company. Do what I did when I lost my Leica stuff some years ago. Walk into the nearest dealer that you know that might handle used Olympus and tell them what your situation is and that you would like to buy replacements when you get your insurance settlement. Ask them whether they would be willing to give you a written estimate of the value of your equipment, mint condition of course and based on the price they would sell it to you. They should be happy to do that for a possible future sale.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA