RE: [OM] church photos - follow-up (FujiNPH 400)

Subject: RE: [OM] church photos - follow-up (FujiNPH 400)
From: "Robert R. Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:11:11 -0600
John:

Thanks for the compliments!  As with all web images, the well optimized
ones always look best.  It is always difficult to covey all the
information on a print in a 450x300 pixel image...

All shots were taken with my OM-1n, 21/3.5, 35 shift, 85/2 (I think I
used that one) and the 135/2.8 - f-stop varied according to distance.
Film was NPH 400, and I used full manual on the T32, sometimes at half
power because of distance and relative f-stop of the background.

The T32 was used on most shots, but there were some with the 35 shift
(not shown) where I didn't use the flash as the foreground and
mid-ground would have different exposures.  A light meter was used to
read the ambient light in the church, and to determine the mean shutter
speed to bring out this exposure.  By maintaining a far distance, I
could maintain shorter shutter speeds(because my f-stop needed to be
wider due to flash requirements), and make a better match.  Where one
sees the most ghosting is in those shots which are relatively close,
thereby requiring a tighter f-stop from flash, and longer shutter speeds
to bring in background.

I do have some daytime shots of the church, but none specifically of the
stained glass.  I will need to concentrate more time on those particular
subjects as well as the many exquisite sculptures in the side chapels.
This church is a basilica, and thus has many important architectural and
historic facets.  There is a lot of work ahead of me if I want to get an
accurate record, but the pastor and the friars are happy to pay for the
film and processing costs as long as I donate my time and equipment.

About the fisheye - it is interesting that you mentioned it because I
almost took it that night, but decided against it when I realized that
almost all of the exposure times will have to be based on ambient light
with long shutter speeds because of it's wide field of view.  I hope to
do a VR walk-through with the 16/3.5 sometime soon.

Thanks again for your interest, and feel free to contact me on or
off-list if you have any more questions!

Bob

<snip>

These are excellent photos. The church architecture (and people) are
remarkably crisp. Can you provide some additional detail, like OM body,
film
used, fstop, etc. (unless this would take too much time). Was the T32
flash
used for all photos? Was a light meter used (initially)?

This is a project I have been considering for some time and your photos
pretty much convinced me to move this up the priority list. Have you
taken
any "day" shots of the stained glass windows? Have you considered using
fisheye attachment or one of the zuiko fisheyes?

John Cwiklinski