[OM] Re: International Roll Call-just out of Curiosity

Subject: [OM] Re: International Roll Call-just out of Curiosity
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 00:11:52 -0800
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 20:32 4/3/02, Lisa asked:
It's great to see so many different TLDs. I'm curious where people are
from,
if you're amenable please introduce yourself. There seems to be a fair few
newbies, myself included, so it may be a nice way for us to "meet" you old
timers.

Lisa,

I recently bought a new digital camera (Olympus C4040Z), and it rekindled an
interest both in 35 mm photography and my using trusty Olympus OM SLR's. From my investigations on the net about my OM cameras, I found that these cameras have developed
quite a cult following, and I discovered this mailing list in the process on
poking around the Olympus OM resources on the Net. As such, I just joined the list just at the end of January . The intro is basically what I wrote to the list members when I introduced myself back then, so my apologies to them ahead of time for having to re-read it again. ;-)

I've been using my two OM-1N's for over 20 years now. The first I bought
in 1979, and the second in 1982 so  I would have a second body for a Yosemite
photo workshop.

Both of these cameras have served me incredibly well, and my first OM-1
body, purchased in 1979, is now at CamTech for its first CLA.  I hope it
will be shipped back soon, as it is coming up on 8 weeks since I approved it's
CLA! ;-)

I've used my other OM-1 more recently than I have my digital camera!
For about 20 years now I've had just three lenses, the 50mm f/1.8, the 28 mm f/3.5 and the
75-150 Zoom. I have shot an amazing variety of images with just these
three, ranging from dance photography to landscape to fine art to
motorsports. I've  recently have added a  200 mm Zuiko and a 300mm Zuiko
to my suite of lenses (which I bought from a list member). I've also bought a big
Tamrom 75-350 Zoom from another list member and a 2X-A teleconvertor from
Tom Scales. I've recently bought a third OM-1N body (guess you can tell
I like those), but I am currently looking for an OM-something that has
spot metering capability, e.g. an OM-2S, OM-4 or OM-4Ti. I'm also looking
for an 85 or 100mm Zuiko "portrait" lens and a T-32 flash.

I've since found out that many listmembers have really increased
their collection of  OM gear since joining the list, so I am clearly
upholding that tradition.

A little background: I work as a molecular biologist for a biotech
company in the south Bay Area, though I live in the East Bay, in
Albany, near Berkeley, CA. Spent ten years training as a classical
ballet dancer, then moved on to motorcycles and mountain biking,
and have used photography as an outlet to express my interest in these
areas. I've been seriously into photography, and then out of it over the years,
 but I am glad to have hung on to my Olympus equipment. I am currently in
another "seriously into-it" phase.

One of my particular interests has been motorsports photography,
and I have been photographing motorsports on and off  for about
20 years now. I am particularly interested in photographing motorcycle racing (used to roadrace motorcycles). I feel lucky that the list has its own resident pro in motorsports photography,
Mike Veglia of Motorsport Visions Photography, and he already has been a
big help and great resource to me, so I guess the list now has at least two motor-
sports photographers, one pro and one "apprentice", so to speak.

I also enjoy fine art photography,  and have done a range of photos
in that area over the years as well, both b&W and color (mostly
slides). I also just entered my first TOPE (Landscapes).

I think you'll find the list to be a vibrant, helpful and thoroughly enjoyable community.

-Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!