Re: [OM] Alpine Decisions

Subject: Re: [OM] Alpine Decisions
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 12:20:34 +0200
On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 07:56:33PM -0600, Michael S. Williamson wrote:
> Freider,
>
> Replies below.  I hope it will give you a better idea of an appropriate
> assortment of lenses to recommend.  I know the 28 f2 has better resolution
> than the SC 24 f2.8, but I don't have a clue if the 28 is wide enough.  I
> also don't have a clue about the longest focal length to use.

Mike, your trip contains lot more city-tours than I first tought of.
I agree with the other advices, not to forget the 2.8/24mm. In
historic european cities are such lot of tight shooting possibilities,
that I`ve even changed to 21mm.
You can really select several reasonable kit`s from your equipment.
I do also like the 85/90mm tele-view to isolate objects from their ugly
surroundings.
For a primes only kit, you might complete the 24 and 85mm with the 2/35
and 4/200 a versatile kit, I`ve used for a lot of opportunities. The 2.5/90
Tamron would even round off with macro.

For your trip I´d guess that fast handlig will be a major reqirement.
For this reason I´d prefer 24 over 21mm even though I´m a new fan of 21mm.
And I could imagine that one of your 28-90/105 vivitar zooms would
give a good "to-be-prepaired-for-anything- lens". In june/july I´d not worry
about the speed while you`re most time outside, with a fast lens for interieurs
in your bag.
This depends on your experience about ease of handling this lenses,
and whether you feel comfortable about them. I wanted to suggest you a
kit like T. Claussens easter London kit, now he reported alway´s using 24mm
instead of his "do all zoom" (o.k 105mm zoom and 135 is double...IMHO).

About the longest focal lenght: either 135 or 200mm. 200mm is the longest lens
which can be handled with enough ease to be fast enough. I´d take the 135mm
only when you decide to take 50mm, or less, as next one. But I think when
you`ve a
85/90 or even 105mm in your lineup then the difference to 135 isn`t enough
to justify to carry on a trip where weight is a issue.

hope, it helps a bit
Frieder Faig

p.s.: isn`t the 4/75-150 a flexible 135mm lens as a good travel companion for
a 50mm standart?