Re: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity

Subject: Re: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity
From: john.oregan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:46:04 +0100
Just lettin' y'all know ....

I'm Irish by birth but now I live near Bedford, England and work as an IT
professional (mainframe work mostly - I'm a bit of a slouch on PCs -
getting too old to learn new tricks!)

I started making photographs in the early 70's, first with a Canonet 28
rangefinder, then a Fuji ST601 SLR.

Got my first OM (a straight 2) in Tripoli, Libya in about '76 (lived there
for 6 years working in the oil industry).
Pricing was as follows (1 Libyan Dinar was fixed at USD3.10 IIRC)

Chrome OM2 with 50/1.8 was 120 Dinars (USD372)
Black was 10 Dinars more
50/1,4 was 10 Dinars more than 1.8
55/1.2 was 10 Dinars more than 1.4

OM1 was about 20 Dinars cheaper.

Not knowing much about things, I bought a Black OM2 and 50/1.8

Downhill all the way since then, accelerating since October 2000 which was
when I first joined the list.  I now have about 6 bodies and a dozen zuiks
plus a pile of accessories and some off-brand stuff!

I briefly tried Can*n AF  in the form of the 50E with a Tamron 28-200
superzoom, but couldn't get on with either the camera or the lens. I'm sure
they are both excellent of their type but I felt I had to do too much
thinking about how to operate the camera - never did figure out all the
dials and wheely things - but eye-controlled focussing was fascinating - up
to a point!

Most of my pictures are made on holidays/vacations; commuting into London
(07:15-18:30). curtails weekday activities to a large extent but I usually
manage to get a few shoits off at weekends and family events. Got a couple
of frames left in the 4Ti so I plan to turn in a TOPE 1 soon.

I'm sloowwwly getting a Website together which will have some Oly/EvbayUK
content and a little gallery of my pictures plus some family and non-photo
stuff - I'll let the list know when it is presentable.

I'm a listee at work only, which explains the sporadic nature of my
postings and the sig at the foot of this note.

Back to lurking

JohnOR