Re: [OM] ADITL and TOPE Statistics

Subject: Re: [OM] ADITL and TOPE Statistics
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 09:26:18 -0500
At 04:28 PM 4/4/2002 +0930, davidt wrote:
>wasn't ADITL4 (decisive moment) being organised/hosted by one of the
>Dave's on the list? <snip>

Actually I offered to host a contest of sorts based on "the decisive
moment" with a 35-80/2.8 lens as a prise, but I only received a few
offers to participate. The (on & off list) feeling was that when real
money is involved that the judging would create a lot of conflict. I
have sense donated a 35-80/2.8 lens, with OM-4t attached, to a college
student. However, I would be more than happy to re-open the contest
with the prise being something like an OM-1,2 MD cover. (at least I
think I still have a spare MD cover floating around.)

One of photography's neat tricks is the distortion of time. I have
photos that seem like I had a lot of time to set up, but in reality the
moment was very fleeting. Here is an example:

http://users.tp.net/wayne/moment/cs_0302a_36w.jpg (for limited time)

I barely had time to raise the camera and take the shot, yet it looks
like the horse was just hanging out in that position. (details: OM-4t
with 85/2, Reala film)

Sometimes you see something before your rational mind has time to
figure it out. I had no idea at the time that I would like this photo
as much as I do now. Instincts plus practice.

I would love to see a tope or aditl "decisive moment" or "time
distortion" as a theme.

Wayne

PS: I hope nobody was terribly offended by my dropping that contest.