Re: Battery conversion, Was [OM] A sad OM-1n story

Subject: Re: Battery conversion, Was [OM] A sad OM-1n story
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 08:55:41 -0700
At 07:48 AM 04/04/2002 -0500, John Hermanson wrote:
>It is illegal to sell mercury batteries, period, afaik.

Mercury batteries have been banned by the EU as of the end of 1999.  Varta was
the last European manufacturer to make mercuries, and they stopped production
at the end of 1999.  However, they still had stock, which they sold to
distributors.  My local pro shop (in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) still sells
Varta's V625PX batteries, but they've approximately doubled the price as their
stocks have dwindled, so that we're now paying around $11.95 CDN per battery
(at today's interbank exchange rates, about 8.54 Euro, 5.24 British pound, or
$7.52 U.S.).  At those prices, the MR-9 converter (which looks like a
"hollowed-out" 625 that you put a Silver 76 [SR44/44W, etc.] into) is becoming
a fairly economic alternative.  Not to mention the fact that it's *much* easier
to find silver oxide batteries than mercuries.

Garth