Re: [OM] Old High Voltage Flash Triggers [was] church photos - tripod an

Subject: Re: [OM] Old High Voltage Flash Triggers [was] church photos - tripod and flash
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:55:32 -0400
> Among the worst offenders are the ubiquitous Vivitar 283 and 285.  They've
> been in production for eons, there's a Googol of them floating around due
> to their continued popularity, and there are two look-alike versions of
> each!!  The *old* ones can run as high as 600 Volts.  The *new* ones run
> about 6 Volts.  When encountering a used one, I don't know of a method to
> tell them apart except by turning it on, allowing it to charge until the
> ready light comes on, and measuring the voltage across the shoe contacts
> using the 1 kV range on a high impedance voltmeter *first*.
>
> Hope this helps some . . . suggesting you either measure it yourself or
> have someone you *trust* to know what they're doing measure it for you.
>
> -- John

I have an early OM1 that will only fire "old" flashes, which I presume, has
to have high trigger voltage. I have an older Toshiba flash which I've had
for years for my Olympus RC. It fires on the OM1, but none of my other
flashes will. The problem with the Toshiba is that is only GN 15, and has no
auto settings, so it has to do a full dump every flash. So, if someone has
an "old" Vivitar 283 or 285 (or similar power flash) that they can measure
(I have no way to measure one) a high trigger voltage on, and they want to
get rid of it, I might be interested in one. I've looked at them on ebay,
but there is no way to tell which ones are which.
Wayne