Re: [OM] OM4 top flex repair?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 top flex repair?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:29:49 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Duncan McRae wrote:

>    Does anyone have any idea how hard it is to repair the ASIC/flex
> connections (are they soldered on?) in an OM4 flex PCB? I've got an
> ASIC with bad joints (I suspect) on the top flex. (I'm fairly good with
> a soldering iron, itsy-bitsy-wires and things electronic).

If it's just the chip that you want to try and resolder, you could probably
try heating each pin up individually to see if you can get the solder to
reflow.  You'll have to move things around enough so that you can get to
all the sides of the chip.  It'll be risky though, the chips are usually
soldered to the board using a reflow technique (hot gases).  It's very easy
to damage the chip and/or flex board with a soldering iron.  Before going
this route I would first check all the external solder connections/points for
cold joints.
                                        -mark