[OM] ANSI PH2.7 - Photographic Exposure Guide

Subject: [OM] ANSI PH2.7 - Photographic Exposure Guide
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:29:17 -0500
Some time ago there were some questions about the proper exposure for things
like starts, fireworks, the moon, et al.  Also discussed were the equations for
predicting exposure in odd situations.  There is a nice little guide to such
things put out by ANSI (American National Standards Institute), the official
standards-making body for the US.  I just stumbled upon my paper copy, from
some years ago, which triggered this posting.

ANSI PH2.7-1986 (R1991). American National Standard for Photography -
Photographic Exposure Guide.  Scope: This standard provides procedures for
determining appropriate camera exposure settings for daylight, moonlight, and
other selected natural and artificial lighting situations. Daylight
illumination data are provided for variations in latitude, month of the year,
and hour of the day. A comprehensive list of additional factors that can affect
exposure is included. This standard enables photographers to determine exposure
settings when it is not feasible or convenient to use an exposure meter or when
the correctness of the exposure that would result from an exposure meter
reading is questioned. Possible errors in the use of incident-light and
reflected-light exposure meters are also listed.

Go to <http://www.ansi.org/public/std_info.html> and search for "PH2.7" for the
downloadable version, which costs US $18 charged to a major credit card.

The paper version is available from Global Engineering <http://global.ihs.com/>
for US $20 (plus shipping, one assumes).  Again, search for "PH2.7".  My 1973
papare version is 7x4 inches, pocket-sized.

Joe Gwinn