Re: [OM] ADITL and TOPE Statistics

Subject: Re: [OM] ADITL and TOPE Statistics
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 20:52:20 -0500
At 09:26 4/4/02, Wayne Schumaker wrote (in part):
Sometimes you see something before your rational mind has time to
figure it out. I had no idea at the time that I would like this photo
as much as I do now. Instincts plus practice.

I like it!

There are times when I turn, look, and a photograph visualizes instantly (e.g., TOPE 7; Human Society). Likewise, it's only afterward I am able to fully comprehend all the elements that converged for it; at the time I simply "saw" it.

I agree with the practice! It's not so much the quantity of film burned as it is how it's done. It starts with working consciously at developing a visualization for a photograph before making it. After a while, more and more of them begin to visualize on their own. One "sees" and all that registers is "it looks right." WARNING: If you do this, you will "cross the Rubicon" and *never* see the world around you the way you did before.

At other times it's very difficult to define what to portray and how to go about it (e.g., TOPE . Then there are the occasions in which a visualization for a photograph at a familiar location occurs while sitting in my study at home or in my office at work and I must wait until conditions are right for making it (e.g., TOPE 9). One photograph (not scanned or posted yet) was visualized two years before finally having the opportunity to make it during the desired time of year, weather conditions and lighting (time of day). It will be part of the September exhibit.

PS: I hope nobody was terribly offended by my dropping that contest.

Not me.

-- John