Re: [OM] slide question

Subject: Re: [OM] slide question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 22:02:40 -0500
Wayne,

Looked at the photograph. Appears to fit the description of "shutter capping" which is the closing curtain catching up with the opening curtain resulting in under-exposure near the frame edge at end of shutter travel. Symptoms can look like a gradual under-exposure across the frame, to this one which is a darker band, to a completely (or very nearly so) unexposed strip.

This symptom can also result from "bounce" which is the opening curtain rebounding slightly across the edge of the film gate at end of travel. Similar result with closing curtain catching up to it sooner due to the rebound.

Images on film are upside down and reversed from what you see in the viewfinder. This means the dark band is occurring on the left edge as you look in the back of the camera through the film loading door, which should put the band at the end of curtain travel. If it is "capping" or "bouncing" its symptoms are expected to become more prominent as shutter speed increases (not necessarily in strip width, but in noticeable exposure difference).

My Contax IIIa CD occasionally does this at 1/1250th, its top shutter speed. Never happens at slower ones.

-- John

At 21:14 4/4/02, C.H. Ling wrote:

> Hi Wayne,
>
> My OM40(PC) exactly have the same problem as yours, I think it was shutter
> calibration problem but as it is a cheap camera I don't plan to fix it. If
> anyone know a easy fix, I may want to try it myself.
>
> C.H.Ling

You're probably right. But it seems odd as all the slides do not show the
problem. Maybe it is just at certain shutter speeds?
Wayne