Re: [OM] slide question

Subject: Re: [OM] slide question
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 00:42:28 -0600
OM-2s shutters will sometimes "jump timing", resulting in "capping", as
you described.

To check for proper curtain timing, open the back and wind the shutter
half-way, so that the metal bar is approx. centered in the focal
aperture.  Gently touch the cloth to the left of the bar and you should
be able to feel the metal bar of the other curtain behind it -- if it's
in the proper location, it should be positioned no more than 1 to 1/2
bar width to the left of the exposed bar.  In other words, when the
shutter is wound half-way, the curtain bars will overlap no more than 1
to 1/2 the bar's width.  BTW, this check works on almost all OM's.

Chances are you'll find that the bar underneath is 2-3 bar widths to the
left of the exposed bar.  Usually the only solution is to re-time the
curtains -- simply adjusting travel time rarely solves it unless it's
only jumped one tooth.  The front casting will have to be removed, but
if you know how you can reposition the curtains without removing the
shutter itself (it's only the 2nd curtain that slips, _don't_ disturb
the timing of the first curtain!).