RE: [OM] Re: Old Zuikos sharper than new Canon Zooms?

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Old Zuikos sharper than new Canon Zooms?
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 18:28:18 +1000
> Richard F. Man [mailto:richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Besides, the 50/1.8 prime is probably generally the sharpest
> lens from any manufacturers. That's the one that "everybody"
> uses.

Just in line with Richard's comments (and not a comment against
the initial poster), and because about the EOS stable I know
more hearsay than the Zuiko <grin>, I offer the following:

The 28-70 2.8 L-series lens of Canon is one of the premier
zooms in Canon's EOS stable. I'm sure I've heard somewhere
(probably the EOS list) that it is the "world's sharpest
zoom" or somesuch - meaningless hearsay (maybe it's true,
but while this is the only "evidence" I have, it constitutes
hearsay), but the point being is it *is* support to be a good
lens, at a price (something like AUS$3K). I believe it,
in conjuction with the 70-200 2.8 L-series (aboutAUS$3.1K)are
"staples" of those photojournalists in the Canon camp. Again,
meaningless in some respects perhaps, considering the use of
digital and the professional support incentives of Canon and
the type of work being done (and no doubt other things I
haven't thought of).

I'm getting to the point - don't worry...

The cheapest lens in the EOS stable is the 50 1.8 II, at
about AUS$160. It's sharpness is apparently quite comparable
(hearsay again) at all equivalent f-stops of the 28-70 2.8 L
(an advantage being that at 2.8, the 50 is already stopped
down some). Of course, the lens has a tendency to break in
half in a strong wind ;-), the barrel and everything other than
the glass being made of plastic, and it's dust-sucking rep'
has also been mentioned elsewhere, but there you go (I still
own one - if it breaks, I'll probably just buy another at
that price). I think more beginners would benefit from
buying this rather than the "consumer" zooms they kit the
low to mid-wonderbricks with, but alas, that is hindsight
on my part and the idea of buying an older simpler camera
(OM1) over the newer wonderbricks (EOS 50E in my case) has
been mentioned here before.

Of course, this ain't the EOS list, and my technique has
a more significant (and not in a good way <g>) affect on
sharpness than any lens quality. The Zuiko 50 1.4 S/N <1million
has been plenty sharp for me (I'm picturing the OM as my
"primes" camera and the EOS as my "Zoom" camera).

I miss my OM1 and 50 1.4, currently getting "CLA"d. [sigh]

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz