Re: [OM] Wide Range Zooms - any good ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide Range Zooms - any good ?
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 00:37:12 +0200
Hi Steve

I have recently bought a Tamron MF 28-200 zoom, the latest model #171. Note
that this model focuses down to 80cm (around 2'7"), whereas the slightly
older model #71 only focusses to 2.1 meters. The difference can be very
significant when working at close quarters. The #171 is very light, only
450 grams (1lb), which is easier to hold than my older Tamron zooms. It is
two-touch, but the internal focussing is very fast. Be aware that the focal
length varies significantly as you focus. The aperture also reduces to
maximum f5.6 at 200mm, which can make focussing difficult under low
lighting conditions, such as indoors.
For fast moving kids and animals I would actually recommend my Tamron SP
70-210mm with a fixed aperture of f3.5. It weighs twice as much, but the
one touch design is faster to use. However, if you need a short focal
length (28mm), the #171 could be what you need. I can also recommend my
Tamron SP 35-105mm f2.8 (my personal choice).

Sincerely,
Roger Key

Dear all

I've lurked on this list for a few months, ever since I inherited my
dad's OM gear. My principle subjects are my small children. Being fast
moving little critters, I think I'd find one of the wide range zooms
handy. I was thinking of the Tamron MF 28-200, but I thought I'd see
what those with greater experience have to say.

How do Tamron Lenses compare with Zuiko's ?

Does anyone on the list have any experience with this lens on an OM
series camera ?

Are there any issues I should be aware of ?

Please assume that beyond the basics my ignorance is total and my talent
zero.

P.S. Olympus state that you should not use a 1.5V battery in place of
the 1.35 V Mercury cell in an OM1, in case you "Burn out the meter". Are
there any recorded cases of this actually happening ? I'd be very
surprised if the meter components could not survive an 100vervoltage!

Cheers
--
Steve Dewey