[OM] Temperature range of mercury and silver batteries

Subject: [OM] Temperature range of mercury and silver batteries
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 09:14:14 -0500
Silver.  The Eveready 357 is rated for use at -10 degrees centigrade, so
storage at that temperature is surely allowed, and will apply to mercury cells
as well, as the electrolyte is the same.  The corresponding handbook for silver
oxide batteries shows service down to -20 degrees centigrade.  In other words,
these batteries will work in my freezer, so storage is not a problem.

Ref:  <http://data.energizer.com/>

Mercury.  My Eveready Battery Engineering Data book (1976) gives performance
curves for some types of mercury battery (E12) for temperatures down to -50
degrees centigrade. Allowed drain rate is greatly reduced, but it does work.

Joe