[OM] Re: Vivitar Series 1

Subject: [OM] Re: Vivitar Series 1
From: Benson Honig <benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 18:26:42 +0300
I just tested a vivitar 80-200 (not a series one) against my 35-70 zuiko
3.5-4.5 , 135mm Zuiko f2.8, and my Zuiko 75-150 F4.
I compared approx. the same ranges (70 vs. 80 vs. 80 vs 135, vs. 135, 135)
all at F22. I found the vivitar surprisingly good. Under a magnifying
glass, it performed very nearly as good as the 35-70, and 135 2.8 and
actually somewhat better than the 75-150. All tripod shots, 250 sec, and
small f.stop, so these were
ideal conditions. The contrast on the vivitar was quite comparable. In sum,
without an extremely careful look under a strong magnifying glass at the
smallest details, differences between the lenses were not visible on a
standard 4x6 print, and even with a glass, barely so. This particular
Vivitar appears to be all metal construction. It says "image by vivitar,
80\200 1:4.5 mc macro focusing zoom and is a one touch. This lens is about
the same size and weight as the 75-150 F4, and seems to be all metal
construction. If it had not done so well, it was destined for the evil one,
but given that it is multicoat, and has a good range and weight, it has now
earned a place in the bag. Sometime later, I'll do another test for max.
f.stop, but since I plan to use it outdoors, probably on a tripod, stopping
down may not be such a big issue.

Benson

>Vivitar even made some well regarded lenses that are not 'Series 1'... I
>stumbled on to a Vivitar 70-300/4.2-5.8 lens for very cheap in Pentax K
>mount, then saw reference to it rating '4.2' on a Photodo MTF ranking, which
>is quite a bit into the top range. I wouldn't mind finding one of those in
>OM mount... It might be a good motorcycle race pictures lens. The lens seems
>to be mostly plastic, so I guess they got the glass right for as long as it
>holds together...

Benson Honig Ph.D.
University of Haifa
Graduate School of Business