Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography (asking for recommendations)

Subject: Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography (asking for recommendations)
From: "--p.j." <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 00:26:14 -0400
> >Today I decided to bit the bullet and took in the tripod to take pics.
And
> >the change is dramatic. Instead of 1:4 almost all of my high
magnification
> >pictures came out tack sharp many sharper than even the sharpest of my
> >previous efforts.
> [snip]
>
> Yes, it makes a very big difference at the magnification levels you are
> working with.  Sorry I cannot help you with tripod advice; I'm still using
> a Bogen 3221 for them (and yes it can be difficult)!

Although not smaller, the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021PRO has the center column
which can be moved to the horizontal position.  This decreases the
stability, but it's better than not getting the shot at all.
Another option, although _extremely_ pricey, is the Gitzo Explorer
G2228/G2227 at $536 and $467, respectively, from B&H.  A friend loaned me
his a while back.  It is fiddly to work with at first when maneuvering the
arm, but it functions well enough that I didn't have to have a focusing rail
and stage along.  I used a Bogen/Manfrotto 3262QR with it, but I think the
3275 (Jr. Gear Head) would be better (although I have never used a gear
head).  Then again, if you have a camera body, lens and 65-116 Tele Auto
Tube hanging off the center column at some odd angle, the last thing you to
do is add more weight and decrease the stability.
Anywho...I'll stick with the 3021PRO (or my 3041B) and the focusing rail and
stage.

I also agree with John L. about DOF.  I bracket DOF and the exposure...and
burn through a lot of film...especially wildflowers on a windy day when I
bracket DOF, bracket exposure and bracket for movement.

HTH,
--p.j.