[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3283

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3283
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 23:54:37 -0700

Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 16:12:35 +0100
From: Ian Nichols <i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Any RD35 info/owners out there in Zuikoland?
<snip>

Any old fashioned non-dedicated type should work.  Use the flash in auto
mode (if it has one) and set the lens aperture manually in the usual way
(it has a leaf shutter so you can sync at all speeds) or use the
flashmatic system (set the aperture ring to the flash setting, set the
flash guide number (little tag on the lens barrel) to whatever the guide
number of your flash is ***for the speed of film you are using*** and let
the camera set the aperture based on focus distance.

Ian,
Thanks for the info....I'll look into this, but I'm still a little confused....I've never used a flash unit before, so I am still a newbie when it comes the guide numbers thing and all....what is the flashmatic system? The auto mode seems to have two f stops, F/4 and F/8 available on my T20. Which one do I use? Do I set the camera for say, 1/60th of a second?

Is there a book you guys recommend for figuring out how to use the flash systems?

-Stephen Scharf

From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 >Subject: [OM] San Jose photo show info (Hi Stephen & Mike...)

<snip>

The guy that Stephen bought his 35-RD from had a nice 35-SP, a nice 35-RC
and a 35-DC as well as three Canonet QL17-GIII's. This guy goes through them
when he gets them and cleans the rangefinder glass and replaces the foam.
When you figure the cost to have that done, his prices were OK on the
cameras. It was a revelation to me to see how much brighter the finder looks
when clean... I'll have to get out my little screwdrivers and q-tips... I
have an old Canonet to practice on before messing with any Olys.

Well, Jim, I have to go back to the show and return or exchange the
RD. Turns out that the aperture setting ring has seized, and I can't
get it back on "A" no matter how hard I try to turn it.

I'll see if he'll exchange for one of the others or a Canonent or something.

:-(  I really liked this little RD, wish  it worked right.

I'll let you know how things turned out.

- -Stephen.

Well, I went back to the camera show this morning....I swapped my RD35 for a Canonet QL17 GIII (yes, I know, heresy!) ....I picked out the mintiest one he had. He swapped me straight across and even paid for my having to pay for admission again today. He said there was something definitely wrong with the RD35's aperture ring. S' a shame...I liked that little RD.....it was small and compact, and quiet and had a Zuiko!

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 23:44:16 +0800
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3282