Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography

Subject: Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography
From: Clendon Gibson <bsandyman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:41:44 -0700 (PDT)
Question.

Are there cases where you want to produce frontal
lighting?

How about black background?

It seems to me that for the second a defintite yes.
For instance I have a rose bush by my house. The
background to it is the garage door, which has nothing
to recomend it photogenic wise.

Example.

----------------------------------
>From: "John A. Lind"
>Date:  Sun, 07 Apr 2002 23:36:13 -0500
>

> >The use of on-camera flash for "nature" macros is
obvious in the
> >photograph.  It creates a harsh, very direct
frontal
> >lighting "look" to them.
>
>I most respectfully and humbly feel I must register a
mild
>disagreement, and I would reference my TOPE 8
submission as an
>example of on-camera flash that produces results I
wouldn't
>exactly describe as either harsh or direct frontal
lighting.  It's
>a technique in progress, and I'm getting better at
it.

>Walt Wayman

Walt,

My definition (others may vary in how to describe it):
On-camera = in the prism hot shoe, or a ring-light
around the lens.

Read the description of your setup.  If I understand
it correctly, it
is an
approximation of what portraitists would call "loop"
lighting.  Even
though
the rig was all tied together, it is not the direct
frontal lighting
that
"on-camera" (by my definition) produces.  Furthermore,
you paid
attention
to balancing the light you provided with ambient
background.  It's how
you
were able to achieve something that looks much more
natural.

If you had mounted the flash heads directly on each
side of the lens
filter
ring (approximating a ring light with two flash
heads), or used one of
them
in the camera hot shoe, and set up the flash level to
overwhelm the
ambient, I would bet money the photograph would look
much, much
different
(the "black background" you wrote about avoiding).

I've recently found some of the lighting angles that
look OK from pure
lighting angle, but need to work more on attaining
sufficient diffusion
and
perhaps provide some fill.  I may try a bounce scheme
next using a flat
reflector (versus an umbrella).

- -- John