Re: [OM] Whale watching gear selection

Subject: Re: [OM] Whale watching gear selection
From: Damon Wood <deewhy_au@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:22:26 +1000 (EST)
Andrea,

Snip

-------------

Would like input on what folks would take (lenses, film speed/type) on
a smallish boat for a short (2 hr) whale watching trip on the central
Oregon coast.   Chances are it will be at least partly cloudy, but we
may get pretty close to the whales.  I was planning to take my OM1-MD
instead of my 2SP because I lack a circular polarizer, the 1-MD is more
beat up and if it fell in, I wouldn't cry as hard (but I would jump in
after it).  Here's what I have at my disposal:
24/2.8
28/3.5
50/1.8
135/3.5
70-210/4.5-5.6
2XA TC
linear polarizer (is it worth is to get a circular one for this trip?)
OM1-MD
OM2SP

Thanks in advance,
Andrea

--------------

If your worried about your better body, then take the OM1. Remember though,
action shots may be tricky for exposures as the 2SP in Auto will allow you not
to worry about having one hand on your apeture ring all the time on the OM1.

How small is the boat. If it where a 2 man boat, there is that little chance
your gear may be in jepoardy. If not, go for it!

As for lenses - definitely your ZOOM 70-210/4.5-5.6! Maybe the TC for long
distance shots - eg, Whale or beachcomers etc.

Depending on the time of the day, the angle of the sun may be quite bleary on
the waters. A polariser would be a must for me if it is a sunny day. Remember
also that the C.Polarizer needs to be turned for your preferred polarized
effect as the L. Polarizer is constant.

I personally like the C.Pol. I can control the reflections to whatever I want
(to a certain degree).

I would go with a wide angle - whaterver you prefer.

Theres two lenses and one body. But of course lens choice needs to be made on
weather conditions and your use of film speed.

Hope that helps!

PS: I am finding out there is an art in predicting only a small range of lenses
for a particular event instead of bringing your whole kit.

I would go with Fuji Provia 100F. ISO 100 set for the sunny weather whilst for
clouds, you can push it to ISO 400 with great results. Sure beats buying 2 or 3
different film types - especially if the clouds are on and off!

Hope that helps and let us all know how it goes.

Damon Wood
Dip. Technology (Applied Science)
Advanced Manufacturing Technology Centre (AMTC)
Sustainable Development (BSc)
Undergraduate Student
Murdoch University
Secretary M.C.C. WASTCA